It’s 2024 and staircases get to be stylish and dare we say it… sexy!
When it comes to designing a staircase, yes it needs to function and be safe, but creating a bit of drama and an unexpected twist can elevate the design of your home. Three popular staircase designs that have gained popularity in recent years are Mono Stringers, Open Risers, and Floating Stairs.
Each design has its unique characteristics and visual appeal, making it essential to understand the differences to make an informed decision for your space.
Mono StringersMono Stringer staircases are known for their sleek and modern appearance. The design features a single, central stringer that supports the treads, creating a clean and minimalist look. The absence of visible outer stringers provides an open and airy feel, making these stairs an excellent choice for contemporary and industrial-style spaces.
- Modern aesthetic: Mono Stringers offer a sophisticated and minimalist design that complements modern interiors.
- Structural stability: The central stringer provides strong support for the staircase, ensuring stability and durability.
- Customization: These stairs can be customized with various materials, such as wood, glass, or metal, allowing for a personalized touch.
Open RisersOpen Risers are characterized by the absence of vertical risers between the steps, creating a visually open and airy staircase. This design is often chosen for its contemporary and space-saving qualities, as the open construction allows light to pass through, making the area feel more expansive.
- Space-saving: Open Risers create a sense of openness, making them an ideal choice for smaller spaces.
- Versatility: The design works well with various materials, including wood, glass, or metal, providing flexibility in customization.
- Increased natural light: The absence of risers allows light to flow freely through the staircase, enhancing the overall brightness of the space.
Floating StairsFloating Stairs, also known as cantilevered stairs, create a visually striking and contemporary look by appearing to “float” without visible support underneath. These stairs achieve their unique design through concealed structural elements, providing a sense of weightlessness.
- Visual appeal: Floating Stairs offer a dramatic and eye-catching design that becomes a focal point in any space.
- Flexibility: The absence of visible support allows for creative freedom in material choices, making it possible to create stunning visual effects.
- Modern aesthetic: Floating stairs complement modern and minimalist design styles, contributing to a clean and uncluttered look.